Thursday, January 15, 2009

I think I almost stepped on one of these yesterday...

What is so smart about this alleged "Smart Car" anyway? I mean who wants to get 60mpg if you get squashed like a bug when you're run over by a Suburban?? I think I inadvertently almost stepped on one these little guys yesterday.

Back when gas was $4 a gallon people said "Sure, make fun of the little car. We'll see who is laughing when they fill up for $6 as opposed to the $60 it costs you". To which I replied "Maybe, but I'll be the one laughing when I'm driving away and he is still pulling the rope trying to get it started". I will say this though, those little Briggs & Stratton engines sure are reliable. Shoot, if you strap on the optional blade deck, not only is it a great commute car, but you can also make extra money on the weekends using it to mow lawns.

If I owned a big Ford F-250 or something, I actually wouldn't mind having a couple of these little cars to haul around in the back just in case I run out of gas or something. If you stack them right, you could probably get 3 of them in your average 3/4 ton truck. You could strap one to the back of your Hummer, and drive one up in the back of your Ford Excursion. Of course the best use for this "car" is keep it in your back yard and push your kids around in it.

The Smart Car. Body by Mattel, engine by Briggs & Stratton. Available wherever fine toys are sold. Batteries not included. Some assembly required.

Jim Chitty
Writer/Columnist/Blogger

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...