Saturday, May 23, 2009

American Idol gets it wrong, then gets it right.

This year's American Idol finale has sparked some debate as to whether the voters got it wrong or got it right in their pick of Kris Allen over Adam Lambert. For me, they got it wrong when they voted Danny Gokey off the show, setting the stage for the Kris and Adam showdown. It should have been Danny and Kris. Now don't get me wrong, Adam has some talent, it's just that his shrill screaming, tongue hanging, out glam rocker wanna-be style just doesn't do much for me. That being said, he actually sounded pretty good up there singing with KISS and very good singing with Queen. In fact, since he didn't win, if I am with Queen or a similar type band and in need of a lead singer, I would know who to call. I actually saw glimpses of a young Freddie Mercury in Lambert's performance.

So, the American Idol voters got it wrong, but then got it right. In the minds of some, Kris Allen may not be as talented as Adam Lambert. I guess that is a debate that can be had. I think they are both very talented just have vastly different styles. For me it came down to that, at times, Adam Lambert was painful both to look at and listen to. Some of his costumes and his facial expressions were not the greatest in my opinion. Kris just seems like a normal guy, as did Danny Gokey. And, I am certain that Danny will get some offers and a record deal. It might be one of those things where the number 3 guy has more of a career than the winner and runner-up. You know, like Chris Daughtry and Taylor Hicks? I know some of you are saying Taylor who?? My point exactly. In a couple of years we may be saying Adam who? or Kris who? Don't count Allison Iraheta out either. There's 17 year-old with some promise.

Anyway, that is my take on this year's American Idol.

Jim L. Chitty
Writer/Columnist/Blogger

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...