Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Defining racism

What is the meaning or definition of the word racism? The dictionary defines racism as a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race. Typically, in our society we view racism as showing favor or preference to one race over another. In practice however, depending on the practitioner, it can be vastly different. I will spend the next few paragraphs describing some of these differences.

I am what you would consider your average white male. I am a Christian, and a political Conservative. In the warped, twisted, and deluded minds of some this automatically makes me and others like me racists. My political and religious beliefs do not match up with those of Barack Obama or Hillary Clinton. For this reason, I do not support and will not be voting for them come November. It has to do with ideology , not race or gender.

Yet, the mere fact that I oppose Obama based on the views he holds and expresses, and not based on the color of his skin, automatically makes me a racist in the eyes of his supporters. The truth, which is foreign concept to these people, is that there several people of color that I would eagerly support if they ran for president; J.C. Watts, Clarence Thomas, Dr. Walter E. Williams just to name a few. What I find interesting and very revealing is that no one who supports Hillary Clinton automatically labels me and others like me who oppose her as sexists. As with Obama, my opposition to Sinister Clinton is based on her views, her agenda, and her track record, not on her gender. I would love to have a woman president some day, just not THAT woman.

Now enter the black so-called leaders who are calling for rioting in the streets if the Democrat Super-Delegates make Hillary the nominee instead of Obama. Apparently they think that his blackness automatically entitles him to be president and for anyone to oppose him or to deny him what they believe is rightfully his is a grave injustice that can only be rectified through violent protests. You know who I’m talking about, the usual suspects. Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, and their ilk.

Back in the first paragraph, did we not define racism as preferring one race over another? If that is right and if Mirriam Webster defined the term correctly, then it looks to me like the REAL racists are the Obama supporters who will incite violence if their boy doesn’t get the nomination. They are a disgrace to their cause and to the people they claim to represent. They are a disgrace to the Democrat party and to America.

Jim Chitty
Writer/Columnist/Blogger

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...